Monday, September 21, 2009

First Cut Finished

That's right, the first cut is finished and will be winging its way to Hatch Fest tomorrow. Pulled an all-nighter last night, 20 hours straight on the computer, from 12pm on Sunday to 8:30am on Monday. I'm feeling fatigued! But it was worth it, and it needed to be done.

At the moment the film stands at 85 minutes. There are still some clips missing. So while unfinished, the Hatch preview will be close to the end film. The final film will feature the remaining clips, ten or so. But I'm happy with it. I think it works. I think I have what I set out to achieve - can't ask for more then that! But I had great footage to work with. Everyone involved did all the work, I just set the stage.

The music was a big and welcome surprise. I didn't think it was going to come together, but serendipity intervened and along came Johnny Crean, Eoin McCabe and Dermot O'Mahony! Johnny and Eoin provide several songs, which are great and Dermot came along with what ended up being a full score for the film, which is what I had hoped for! So the credits read: Music by Dermot O'Mahony, Songs by Johnny Crean and Eoin McCabe.

I had originally intended asking a known composer or band, but then the idea of using Independent artist dawned on me. It makes complete sense, the essence of this project is one of Independent filmmakers creating art together for nothing, stands to reason that the music should be by Independent musicians.

It's not finished yet, still some work to do, but it's a milestone. From an idea one sleepless night to this in such a short space of time is pretty amazing!

OK, it's late and I'm in need of sleep! More soon.

Ps. Here's an interesting link! Turns out I'm one of 7 fascinating filmmakers to follow on twitter, in a list that includes David Lynch and Michael Moore! Fair enough! Pretty cool though. Thanks Fast Company!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Congratulations! And thanks for all your hard work. I'm so looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Jill said...

That's amazing!! I can't wait to see the film!! And the Twitter thing is a cherry. Love it!