Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Kickstarting my New Film

A very special day today! As today I am officially announcing my new film and launching two new pages.

I've been talking about it for a while, but I can now confidently say that my next film will be Derelict. A dark and violent crime thriller, it is about a gang of kidnappers who hold a bank managers family hostage in a derelict building. But they soon realise that they're not alone.


Allow me introduce the cast:

The Criminals:
Michael Bates as J.

Steve Gunn as Davey Boy.

Keith Ward as Tone.

Gerry Shanahan as Daniel.

The Family:
Elaine Reddy as Kate, the mother.

Andy Gallagher as Andrew, the son.

(Part of the father and Bank Manager yet to be cast.)

And as The Hooded Man:

I'm very excited to be working with all these actors. I've known of Andy for sometime, having auditioned him for Emily's Song about 5 or 6 years ago. I got to work with him briefly on Slán agus Beannacht but knew I wanted to do more, especially after seeing Thomas Hefferon's 'The Pool'.

I met Steve, Keith, Gerry, Elaine and Brian at the Ghoster reading, almost 2 years ago and I met Michael at the Iscariot reading last year. So I really have Camille Donegan to thank for setting up the readings and making the introductions... I should have hired her as my casting director! I was impressed with everyone and stayed in touch, knowing I'd find something we could do, or if not find something, create something!

The plan is to shoot at the end of March. I'm still working on the script and until recently I had the perfect location, but that fell through and I'm back on the hunt.

John Lawlor with shoot the film. I've worked with John a lot over the years on various projects, including Bill, For Short, but never done a narrative piece with him. John is a documentary filmmaker and I think his style and attitude is exactly right for this project and the unique way we're going to be approaching the shoot (more on that later.)

Now. As I mentioned, I am also launching two new pages today:

First up:

For every update you'll need about the film, the cast and the crew. Links to videos, pictures, press and behind the scenes footage and interviews when they come.

Next up:

Where we are aiming to raise €5000 ($6,950) toward the budget! I had great success with Kickstarter and 140, raising $2580! So I'm hoping on similar success here. The thing about Kickstarter is that you don't get a penny unless you raise everything! Bit scary, but a great incentive!!! So I really need people to get involved.

As mentioned below you can still go the pay pal route, but I know a lot of people don't use or like paypal and would prefer to make a direct transfer via credit card, Kickstarter allows you to do that and wont charge you anything. Everything is on hold until the full amount is reached. And you get some nice perks through kickstarter!

You may also notice that I have 38 days to raise these funds, the deadline landing on December 18th, which is actually my daughter's first birthday!

That is the plan. I'm excited about it. I think it's going to be good, something unique and quite special. And a good old fashioned crime thriller! I hope you'll follow along on the journey, as you have been so far! And if you can help, by all means do, have your name on the credits and be a part of this project for all time.

More news as it comes.

No comments: