Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Glance Back.

End of year. Stock taking time. Looking back. Reflection. What have I learned this year? A lot.

The year began as the previous had ended, trying to get Derelict off the ground. It was a slog. But we got there and the film got shot. Easy as chips. No, not really. It was hard work. But I'm happy with it. Happy with the experience. Worked out in the end. Although it was a tough shoot. One that left me drained and questioning whether or not I actually wanted to continue directing. But I got back on the horse. Got over it. Found my passion remained intact. I learned a few things along the way. To take with me to the next one.

140 won an award. Raise My Hands got into a couple of festivals. Slán agus Beannacht sold to RTE and was broadcast on national television. Couple of disappointments. Couple of interesting prospects. Doors began to open that had always remained shut. Even if only slightly. A crack. A sliver of light. But light nonetheless. And once there is light there is hope and once there is hope we keep moving forward.

So onward.

One thing I did learn, not so much learn as - have been reminded of - I need to listen to my instincts more, I need to remember my own vision, especially in the darkest times when all around are questioning the direction I'm leading them, because it was that vision that brought us there, and it will be that vision that leads us out, some may doubt, but as long I don't I know we'll get there. I have to have faith in myself, because if I don't - how can anyone else?

Faith, belief and strength moving forward. Happy Christmas all. Enjoy the holidays. And a very prosperous New Year.

No comments: