Thursday, September 27, 2012

Heads or Tails?

I've been wracking my brain the last while trying to decide on what project to do next. I had decided on one, one I'm writing at the moment, but I'm not so sure. I have another, medieval piece, but it's probably too big for me right now... although, my idea is to keep it contained, no real reason I couldn't do it I suppose, if I really wanted to. If I put my mind to it, I think I probably could.

I think the difference between the two projects is that one if medieval and one is contemporary. So the medieval one requires a lot of art direction, weapons, stunts, would be a tough shoot because would mostly be exterior and would involve battles. It would also need to be shot in Ireland, so if I'm moving, it means coming back to shoot it, which is fine, but an added pressure.

The contemporary one requires work too as it has certain "magical" elements (for want of a better word) so needs stunts, wire work and will have CGI and compositing elements, although I can/will go back the The Element for all that work, so there's that. But most likely, I'll be living in the states and will shoot it there, as it's contemporary, and can really be shot anywhere.

Of course, I could just wait to move and see what happens when I land - - But I think I know what's going to happen. I'm going to have to go straight to work and earn money, so films will have to go on hold. So it would be nice to have something simmering away in the background while I'm doing that.

I'm leaning toward the contemporary piece. But I need to write it and find a strong ending. BUT - every time I think of the medieval one I think "Oh, swords and clobbering people! That'd be fun!"

Torn I am!

Another thing about the medieval one is that I know there are other versions in development already, so I'd be competing again bigger and better financed versions. I'm not too worried about that. I know my take is different. And I have just spent a year trying get the rights to a book which was based on a well known and well told legend, which has several version in development, but not only that, several version out right now! But again, it was different enough that I knew it could stand apart.

What would you do? Contemporary or Medieval?

Anyway, I'm just rambling here, I wasn't going to put this up but this is an example of what my brain is doing in between projects. Also, sorry to be so vague, I wish I could tell you exactly what the projects are but I have found in the past that when I talk in too much detail about stuff, very similar stuff appears a little later down the road by better funded people than me. Coincidence? Maybe, but I'm not taking the chance.

I think the key is just to do something. We only have one life. Time is ticking. I could be dead tomorrow... and all that stuff. And you can't worry about what other people are doing. If you do that, you'll get nothing done.

Perhaps I should just decide. Pick one. Then do the other after. Seeing as there is two maybe I should flip a coin... ok, here we go - Heads: Contemporary, Tails: Medieval...

TAILS!!! Medieval it is...









...best two out of three?

No comments: