Friday, June 07, 2013

All The Best

It's been a little slow around here lately. Not much going on. Both by choice and necessity. I'm moving to the States in three months time. So, I can't really start anything new. Unfortunately I Am Ireland didn't garner much interest. Some people got in touch, but no one followed up, nowhere near the level of interest I had with 140. It's disappointing, but I don't have time to push it right now. It's a boat that sank on the launch. I guess it happens from time to time.

Right now I'm packing. I've just put all my old scripts into a box to be stored in my parents attic until I can either, a: retrieve them and have them shipped to America, or b: they are eaten by mice. I'm going to miss them. I mean that. Most of my work is going into storage. I'm going to miss being surrounded by it and being able to access it at any time. But I'm also looking forward to the clean out, and to starting anew, with all new ideas.

I've always been someone who responds to my environment. My stories spring out of my surroundings. So it will be interesting to see what stories await me in the States. I would still like to bring some scripts with me, work on them and see if they will translate to an American setting. I do want to make The Wolf of Nevermore. And I think that will actually work better as an American tale. I also have Float, which I think could work anywhere. We shall see what the future holds.

I've had a good run of it the last few years. I've struggled, yes, but I've still manage to get my films made and I've had the freedom to tell the stories I want to tell. I know I bitch and moan about not having money, not getting funding and backing, but I can't complain about the generosity of those who have rallied behind me to help me make my films. I will never forget that, and if I get to America and don't ever find that again, I will always be happy and grateful that I had it here.

In the meantime I'm still pushing Derelict out. Just entered the Austin Film Festival, so fingers crossed for that. We've also had some press this week, a six page feature spread in Digital Filmmaker Magazine. I'm very excited about it, I won't lie. It's great publicity for the film, but it's also my first ever film magazine feature! I've been collecting films mags since I was 11, I actually still have some old Film Review magazines in the attic. I've always wanted to see one of my films in a film mag! A little geek dream come true!




Pick it up if you can, it's a cool mag, and not just because I'm in it... well, maybe a little bit!

That's all for now, and the foreseeable future. No more films for a while. I'll keep writing as much as I can. I'll keep thinking up new ideas and look for ways to turn those ideas into films. I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to make another film. It's always a privilege to be able to do that. And one I'll never take for granted. This isn't the end mind, I'll still be blogging here and I'll keep the updates on current projects coming. Hopefully Derelict will start rolling soon. Meantime, look after yourselves! Thanks for reading. See you soon, with some news films for you to watch!

All the best
Frank

No comments: