Sunday, September 07, 2014

Feet.

Here's a random post about feet. As I sit and write this my feet are itching like crazy. The skin in cracked and sore and I have water blisters on them. Gross, I know! They're not too bad really, just really really friggin itchy!!! I used to have great feet. Smooth skin, good shape, I was proud of my feet, I even thought at one time of becoming a foot model (not really). Then I made Derelict and my foot model career ended before it had even begun.

We spent 7 days in a dark, dank, dusty warehouse. I wore an old pair of Asics Gel, because the only other pair of shoes I had were leather boots with a heal that made a lot of noise, and I had to be able to run after the camera without making noise. They were long days. I was on my feet for 14 to 18 hours a day. And my feet got ruined.

By the end of the shoot they looked like they had been dipped in acid, the skin was so bad. I don't know what happened, or how it happened so quickly, but they got destroyed. It took about 6 months for them to recover, and for the cracking to heal. But they have never been the same. I really don't know what I did to them. But I guess the moral is, look after your feet. Invest in a good pair of shoes before you go on a shoot. And rest them, take breaks at work, get a directors chair! Bathe them in water when you get home. Moisturise!

Might sound crazy, might sound like more trouble than it's worth, but your feet are two of the most important tools you'll need on a film set, no point ruining them. And trust me, you don't want cracked itchy feet, they will drive you nuts! Sometimes my little toe gets so itchy my visual image of relief is to take a chisel and hammer it off!!! So, yeah, look after you feet.

No comments: